Monday, June 11, 2012

CHAPTER 1

Good morning all~ I have had this post on my heart for a while now, and I think it is time to write! I hope to inspire someone, or make a difference in someone's life.  I just want you to know who I am! I believe that what happens in our life can and will determine who we are. I was born in Sherman TX to an unwed mother. I had 1 older brother and 1 little sister. As I was growing up, we moved a lot. I mostly remember Arkansas. We were very poor, never had any NEW clothes or furniture, just whatever we could get free or goodwill. My mother was very abusive, to us. I recall a day that I will never forget. My brother was teaching me the ABC's, when I would get to LMNOP, it was a tongue twister, and we laughed and laughed. My mother however, didn't think it was so funny. She knocked me off the stool and beat me telling me I was stupid, and she will not have a stupid child living with her. She told me if my grandparents did not want me, that she would send me to a foster home. Well, time passed, and one day at school, I looked up, and saw my grandma standing in my class room. I was excited to see her, and ran to her hugging her tight! She asked me if I wanted to go to her home in Texas. Of course, I wanted to go visit my grandma, who wouldn't?? I did not realize what was really happening. I remember my mother giving her a big black trash bag full of my clothes, and off we went. Once we got to my grandma's house, she started going through the bag, and crying because all I had was "rags" . I had on a pair of leotards and when she took them off of me to give me a bath, I had bruises all over my legs. She was very upset about that, and told me I would never have to worry about that again. She went shopping that day, and bought me all NEW CLOTHES, even 3 different colors of PJ'S!! As a few months passed, I started missing my brother and sister. I begged to go back home. Finally my mother agreed to let me come back. Once I was back home, and nothing had changed, beatings, and everything started all over, I realized that being at grandma's was much better! I am not sure how long I stayed, but soon, I went back to grandma's house, and that is where I grew up. She adopted me and now she is my MOMMA!!


There are many details, I am not writing, to keep it short,  I will write chapter 2 tomorrow....... 

I am sure that my "momma" saw something in me, that was more than I ever knew could be!
For now, Here is a photo of something that when I saw it, I looked beyond what it was, and saw what it could be!! It was an old lamp, I turned it into a BIRDBATH!!


5 comments:

  1. Oh Melissa-I know someone who is raising their grandchild too and she calls her momma. I am so sorry you had to go through that before Grandma!!! I guess we all have some things in our childhood that weren't so good.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, You are correct when you say, what happens in our life determines who we become good or bad. I to came from an abusive home and finally as a teenager left Texas for Oklahoma to live with my gramdma. I have come to the point where I can thank God for the good and bad things that have happened in my life. Without the bad, I would have never met the love of my life. He and his family knew I was wounded bird and they loved me inspite of me and helped me become a good loving,caring person. I do believe it is called unconditonal love! They used to hug me and tease that I felt like stone but one day I would turn to a sponge and now I realize the healing powers of a hug and a smile. Gosh, I could just go on and on but will stop here. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to meet you when I visit ORLY this weekend.
    Tina
    my facebook page I think sums up the journey I am on. www.facebook.com/repurposedlifeokla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your blogs I am so sorry that ypur mother treated you that way but Iam so glad you went to live with your grandma I am raising my granddaughter not becase her mother abused her or did drugs but because she has mental disorders that prevent her from caring for her properly I have the best mother in the world, I don't know what I would do without her, But my 2nd husband was abusive. Thank goodness I am free of him. I am glad you made your mark in the world I truely love your reburshing and look froward to reaing chapter 2
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I always knew you were a special lady. From your warm smile at the old Home Interiors meetings to your fun sense of humor I always think of you and smile. So glad the Lord has blessed you in so many ways. Indeed, we have to endure suffering to experience joy. Thanks again for posting this. I love looking at all your fun projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so sad that you was treated like that by the very person that is suppose to protect you and love you. Your story has touched my heart so deeply. Bless You!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!