Sunday, October 21, 2012

Chalk Paint~

I have been asked to share my homemade chalk paint recipe. So here ya go. Nothing extraordinary, I found the recipe on a blog myself! I use a container from Home Depot, fill the container up to the 20 oz. line with any brand & any color latex satin paint. Then I use a dixie cup, to measure out the plaster of Pairs. I got that idea from a friend who makes her own chalk paint too.  I pour the plaster of Paris up to the first line of the cup, and then about equal amounts of warm water. Mix it up until there are no lumps, then pour the mixture into the container of paint. That should give you exactly 1 quart of paint! I like to make my own because of the volume of items that I paint, it is more cost efficient for me.  Don't get me wrong, I love the designer brands too, and if I didn't have so many pieces to paint I would use them! 



9 comments:

  1. Using plaster of paris instead of unsanded grout doesn't setup on you or gradually get thick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the plaster of paris mix too and I've had good results (sold all the pieces I painted). Cuts down on the cost. I do love ASCP and have been trying out CeCeCaldwell chalk/clay paint too with good results, but they do cost.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thank you!!
    McKelle from In De-Stress Mode :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear some use a wax after they paint. Do you use wax? If you do, what kind dobyou use. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made up paint with plaster. i may try it. I am concerned the latex would peel but still will try it. I've been painting furniture with acrylic tole paints. It's not cheap by the time you buy enough to cover a huge dresser or table or a set of chairs but it dries in a chalky way. I then matte varnish the piece or use minwax clear (kinda beige and will add a gentle slight bit of yellow to a white piece that only you will notice..i like it)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe it is as simple as that. That is soooooooo awesome. Thanks so much for sharing! I love the look of chalk paint. I would love for you to share this at our WIW linky party. Hope you can join us.

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Plaster of Paris.....who knew! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayah, about to try on a small piece first, I have my latex paint and my plaster!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!